Super-80 Repository is open

News concerning Vintage related additions to the site.

Super-80 Repository is open

Postby ChickenMan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:56 am

The Dick Smith Super-80 was a Zilog Z80 based kit computer running at 2MHz and developed as a joint venture between Electronics Australia magazine and Dick Smith Electronics. It was presented as a series of construction articles in Electronics Australia magazine's August, September and October 1981 issues. In some ways it was similar to the Microbee, it even used the same keyboard.

The Super-80 Repository is now finally open to all members. Thanks go to our member Robert who has made available most of the material there. Documentation, manuals, magazines, ROM's and of course lots of games and utilities. You can get to it all via the normal MSPP Repository link. But you do need to select Vintage repository rather than Microbee.

A new Vintage Computer forum has been included in the Main forum to facilitate any discussion related to the Super-80.

The Super-80 is well supported via the MESS emulator for those that want to get a feel for the machine without actually having one. I've had some great fun over the past couple of weeks testing it out. So go for it :)

Alan
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Re: Super-80 Repository is open

Postby ChickenMan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Today I posted up a lot more documentation files for the Super-80, including Editor/Assembler Manual.

So check'em out :)
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 am

Well first for 2011 :) Thanks to Robert, I have added further Newsletters to the Super-80 Documentation section. They are company Newsletters from Dick Smith and from BEMAK. We are missing a few from the complete collection, so is there anyone else that can help to fill the gaps? Any contribution greatly accepted and appreciated. There are also BEMAK's price list & update.
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm

It keeps on coming, thanks to our member Robert. Today I included some Melbourne Super-80 User Group newsletters. Unfortunately not all pages were retained from the 80's and mostly only pages with program listings on them. Plus with poor printing techniques back in the 80's and with time fade, they are not the best scans known. However they are mostly very readable and printable.

If anyone has further issues available or complete volumes, I'm sure the Super-80 members would be most grateful. If you can help, please PM Admin, Robert or myself :)

Edit: I've just added the Brisbane Users Group newsletters and they are in the same condition as the Melbourne Users Group one.
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Again, thanks to Robert, today I added the next installment for the Super-80, the Journal of the Sutherland Micro Computer Users Group. Again like the others, they are not complete but there is a lot of info there. Because they were a Micro User Group, there is even a few Microbee listings :) apart from the Super-80 stuff.
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Again thanks to Robert, I posted today the somewhat rare document Super-80 Monitor Handbook, Issue 1, Revision A
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Starting to sound like a broken record, but thanks again go to Robert for the magazine titled "Software for the Super-80 Computer" produced by Electronics Australia. The Super-80 equivalent to the Microbees Bumper Book of Programs :) You will find it in the Super80's Documentation/Magazine folder.

Also thanks go to Shred for some additional Electronics Australia articles about the Super-80 and a Your Computer review on the Super-80. All good reading :)

Thanks guys.
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 pm

I almost forgot to mention, and again thanks to Robert, I have posted up 2 lengthy documents, the dick_smiths_1st_book_of_super80_programs.pdf (40 pages long) and the chipspeed_colour_board_manual.pdf (51 pages long).

Dont forget, these are searchable PDF's so from Windows it is easy to cut & paste, say, a program listing and save out as a text file. The OCR'ing is not 100% perfect and you will need to check it against the scanned image, but it can save an awful lot of typing in. Not sure how you can get the text file of a Basic program into a usable format for a real Super-80 or MESS emulator, but very easy on a Microbee.

Also, there is a couple of extra Articals about the release of the Super-80, back when it was being referred to as the Nova-80.
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 am

Its still keeps coming, again thanks to Robert. Today I have posted up a mixture of Super-80 documents, the tamarri_macro_z80_debug_manual.pdf (unfortunately we dont have the software, can you help?), mds_graphic_source_code.pdf, the_valley_instructions.pdf and some EA articles including the first official advert for the Super-80 in the August 1981 edition.
The MSPP Team
ChickenMan

Return to Vintage additions news